You might not hear from me in a while. I'm heading to California. First stop, San Francisco; followed by Napa, Carmel, and Monterey. I plan on doing some site-seeing, shopping, {of course} eating, and tons of memory-making. I used to travel a lot for work, but now it's all pleasure. I think that's the best kind.
With traveling, comes packing. I really think packing should be an Olympic sport. With airline baggage fees skyrocketing to insane prices, it's important to pack only the essentials. But if you are a girl, you know how challenging this can be. What if it rains or the temperature drops 20 degrees in a day? You really need 2-3 options to wear for any given day... right? Well I think I've finally mastered the art of packing. Essentials only, although I'm sure my husband will argue with me.
For a trip to Northern Cali, here are my top 10 essentials {in random order}:
1.
Kindle or favorite reading material. Traveling can have a lot of down time, especially when you fly. Don't forget reading material, even if it's the latest celebrity gossip mag. I just ordered this cute Kindle cover here.
2.
A light jacket, like this bright blazer. It can get cold in airports, restaurants, and even outside in Norther Cali. I know we aren't used to the 50 degree weather in July here in the South, so a jacket is key.
3.
Comfortable flats in a neutral color. I can't emphasize the word 'comfortable' enough. You will be doing a lot of walking when site-seeing and blisters are the last thing you need. Bring one comfortable pair in a neutral color that will go with everything.
4.
Summer scarves. Again, like a jacket these are a must. They add that perfect pop of color to your wardrobe too.
5.
Camera. This is a given. You don't want to miss out on capturing every adventurous moment of your trip.
6.
Travel compartments for your favorite pieces. This one in particular is for jewelry. If you throw all of your things in a ziploc, they are likely to get tangled. Who wants to spend precious site-seeing minutes untangling your favorite pair of earrings from the necklace? Find pieces that will help you stay organized.
7.
Comfortable jeans. I prefer skinny jeans because they not only work for the daytime with your flats, but you can dress them up at night with heels. A darker color too will allow you to wear them more than once.
8.
A large tote or handbag in a neutral color. Just like the flats, keeping the color neutral will allow it to go with everything you packed. Make sure the handles are comfortable too so it's not annoying to carry throughout the day. A good size will allow you to stuff it with your camera and other items.
9.
Noise cancellation headphones. These were given to me as a gift a while ago and I never travel without them. They are perfect for the plane as listen to your favorite tunes or watch a movie when there is a screamin' baby nearby.
10.
This one may seem silly, but you must learn how to master the sock bun. This was something I put on my to-do list before I left. If your hair is like mine, it has a mind of it's own especially when traveling. You never know what the weather is going to do to it. Throwing it in a sock bun keeps it tidy and looks fashionable at the same time.
What are your travelin' essentials?

You are so cute. I am SO JEALOUS of your travels! Stop by Taylor's Refresher in Napa for sweet potato fries and a strawberry milkshake :) Have fun!
ReplyDeleteSo I need you to move to Dothan and be my personal shopper/dresser/home decorator/live-in bff...k thanks!
ReplyDeleteOh Mattie! I wish I would have seen this recommendation - I'm sure Taylor's Refresher is fabulous. We ended up going to a place called Celadon in Napa and it was amazing too.
ReplyDeleteAsh - I would totally move to Dothan for you. However, you do not need a personal shopper/dresser/home decorator... I can just be your live-in bff. =)