Thursday, July 12, 2012

My First Quilt

This post was a long time comin'....

My best friend, Ashley had her first little one in April. Being that he's a pretty special little guy (and I see many years of spoiling ahead) I wanted to gift Hampton and Ashley with a special baby gift. Ashley is a fellow lover of Pinterest and because I "follow" her pins, I noticed a really cute quilt she re-pinned under her "For Baby" board. {if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, you MUST join Pinterest...comment below with your e-mail and I will send you an invitation}. The quilt immediately caught my eye and I knew exactly what I wanted to gift her with for her shower. 

The quilt that was pinned was designed by Cristin Wilson. This fellow blogger posts about really cute sewing projects. Check out her blog here. Below is the original photo for inspiration. Cristin used scrap fabric to create the flag design and a IKEA sheet for the background. How inventive she is.


I didn't have an old IKEA sheet laying around or scrap fabric, so I headed to my nearest fabric store to pick some out. Hancock Fabrics sells quarters of fabric for a couple of dollars and I was able to get at least 4 triangles per quarter. Once I cut all of the triangles {flags}, I pinned them in place and sewed them together. My mom helped me do the actual "quilting" part of it.
It was a long process, but I think it turned out really cute!


For the back, I chose a polka dot brown and blue. 
My mom also helped me embroider a little tag for the back. She's so talented with the sewing machine!

I think Hampton likes it. What do you think?!

 

5 comments:

  1. Precious! This is seriously one of my most cherished items of all time! Not only is it insanely adorable, but my best friend made it and that makes it something I will love and keep for many years to come...and as you can see, Hampton loves it too...almost as much as he loves his Aunt Jammy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Jana! Quilting is a hard job! It looks great and he will have it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash... I LOVED doing this quilt for you. It was for a special little boy and a best friend. I love my Hampton and can't wait to see him this weekend! xo

    Thanks Lindsey! Yes, this wasn't easy, but well worth it! My mom and I will hopefully make some more - it was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome quilt! My daughter is still trying to sneak my Christmas tree skirt away that your mom made me years ago....it is still my favorite home made Christmas gift! I love the flags on the quilt...you are learning from the best teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Lynda... I have one of those tree skirts too. My mom gave it to me. Maybe I should try one of those next. I really need a new tree skirt. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete