You may or may not have noticed a new tab here on TBC.
I've been wanting to add this tab for quite some time. Today's the day.
It's rough, but will eventually have some good links to all things food!
I'd like to consider myself a foodie. Let's be honest here. Dubbing myself a foodie is a huge undertaking, so forgive me if I fail you. I hope this part of the TBC blog inspires you to tie on an apron and get down and dirty in the kitchen. Being born and raised in the South, our family gatherings took place around the dinner table. My Grandma Brown was the queen of Southern cuisine, passing down family recipes from generation to generation. Although everything I cook now isn't a casserole with cream of whatever and cheese, we try to find recipes that are traditional with a modern {healthy} twist. I say "we", as in my husband and I. He's a chef. Well, not really, but in another life he would be. This is one of the many things we enjoy doing together. Cooking and eating. It makes us happy.
Last night's meal was amazing. I originally intended to make it Sunday night, but plans changed. The chicken marinated overnight, which I think made a difference.
This will be posted in the new tab.
Roasted Chicken with Balsamic
{from Giada's Everyday Italian Cookbook}
Best part....prep time: 15 minutes; Serves 2
Ingredients
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 whole chicken legs
- 2-3 thighs {BTW, she doesn't specify skinless or skin-on, so I did skinless...plus, it's healthier.)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
Directions
Whisk the vinegar, mustard, lemon juice,
garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend. Combine the
vinaigrette and chicken pieces in a large resealable plastic bag; seal
the bag and toss to coat. Refrigerate, turning the chicken pieces
occasionally, for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. {I did a full day}.
Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Carefully pour the sauce from the pan into a small pot. Using a spoon, skim the fat off the top of the sauce and discard. Cook on medium-high heat bringing it to a boil. Let the sauce reduce to about 1/2 before pouring it over the chicken. Sprinkle the lemon zest and parsley over the chicken, and serve.(I forgot to do this last part...but it was still amazingly delish).
This was the prep station. Ignore the ginger and green pepper... that was for another dish that I'm making tonight.
May I suggest... serve this with Giada's Prosciutto Peas.
Roasted Chicken with Balsamic
{from Giada's Everyday Italian Cookbook}
prep and cook time: 10 minutes; Serves 2
Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound frozen peas {I used some fresh lady peas that I had put up in the freezer, but I think she used English peas}.
- 2 ounces (1/8-inch-thick slices) prosciutto, diced
- 2 tbs chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
Directions
Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over
medium-low heat. Add the shallot, garlic, salt, and pepper, and saute
until tender, about 1 minute. Add the peas and saute until heated
through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the prosciutto and cook for 1 to 2
minutes. Add the parsley and remove from the heat. Season, to taste,
with salt and pepper, and serve.
I'm not a food photographer, as you can tell. We didn't want the yummy chicken sauce to mix in the peas, which is why we only have the chicken on the plate. The peas were perfect with this dish. Served with a salad and you've got a simple, easy meal.
photos via instagram because I was too lazy to take them with the real camera
This recipe looks like a winner! Milly would be proud! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteAunt Lynda, I will never be able to cook as good as her, but I strive to at least try. Her squash casserole and mac-n-cheese was out of this world. I'll never forget our fun holidays with her and the family...those were some of my fondest memories growing up.
ReplyDelete