I am so pumped to share this post with you about a new house project that we've been dying to complete! Our basement is unfinished and we eventually want to finish it, but decided to work on it a little at the time {especially after realizing how expensive it is}. As you may know, our pups are really important to us {basically, our children}.
Right after we got Cooper and Butter, we Adam built them a large pen out of metal fencing in the basement mainly so they wouldn't get into anything else. Through the fenced-in pen, they have access to a doggy door that leads to the backyard where they can go outside when needed. I couldn't find a picture of the full view of this HUGE {ridiculous} fence in our basement, but below you can see it in the background.
Don't judge this picture...no, I'm not a hoarder of furniture. Well, actually I might be, but this was taken when I had my antique booth at the Queen. Can you spot Harlee?
Sadly, our female lab Butter has really bad allergies and the dust and dirt isn't helping. So after a lot of thinking, Adam and I decided that to take the first step in finishing the first room: the dog room. Yep, that's right. We are finishing a room for the dogs. Crazy, I know. Typically this could be a "mud room", but when we sell this house in the future hopefully someone who loves dogs as much as we do, will find this room perfect.
Here are photos of the beginning stages:

The water-heater, air unit, etc is in this room, so we had to enclose it within a closet. I am loving how it looks so far. You can see the doggy door below.

And because I haven't had a "house project" lately....I have BIG plans for this room. Paint. Beadboard. Artwork. Light Fixture. Window treatment. Painted concrete floors. Handmade Dog Bed. Can you tell I'm excited?!
This week I bought the OTTAVA Pendant Lamp from IKEA.
I'm contemplating spraying it one of these hammered metal colors...what do you think? Adam thinks I should keep it silver. It's just sooo shiny, but I'll put it up and see what it looks like first.

Like our front door, the basement door has seen better days so it'll get a fresh coat of paint and a custom bamboo shade for the window for a little warmth and texture. JCPenney sells the custom shades for $30.
There is the perfect nook in the room where we will put the built-in dog bed. We are going to build a frame that will sit on the ground and place a twin mattress inside. I plan to make a cover for the mattress out of durable laminated cotton that can be wiped clean when dirty.
Here are the fabrics I'm thinking about:
I can't resist using this print in the room. Maybe I'll make a large pillow or just frame a scrap of it. How perfect is this for a dog? Butter {hearts} squirrels.
The builder should be finished tomorrow, so we will be super busy this weekend painting and putting everything together. More pics to come.
So do you think we are crazy yet?!
{Ideas via Pinterest}








Love your dog room! It's not crazy to take care of those wonderful pets who bring so much joy! Can't wait to see YOUR pet artwork!
ReplyDeleteI love it! And I thought Thor was spoiled!! No way, Cooper and Butter have got it made! Can't wait to see the finished project! Miss you friend!
ReplyDelete