This post is about making homemade chicken stock. Fascinating, huh?
If you think so, continue reading...if not, skip this one.
At our nest, we make a lot of recipes that use chicken stock or broth. It gets repetitive from constantly buying this stuff at the grocery store. Most of the time Publix has it on sale, but I recently came across a recipe online for making your own. It was so easy too!
I've made my own at least 4 times now. Here's how:
If you have a meal planned for rotisserie chicken {whether you eat the rotisserie or use the chicken for yummy chicken salad or pot pie}, instead of throwing out the carcass and bones, place them in your crock pot. Fill the crock pot with water almost to the top or where it is covering the chicken carcass. Place on medium or low and cook for 24 hours. That's it!
The first couple of times, I didn't add anything. The last few times, the online recipe version said to add a quartered onion, some carrots and a dash of salt for flavor. Both times it was great.
Once the stock/broth has cooked for 24 hours {and your house will smell delish}, just strain the stock and pour into a jar. Place in fridge or freezer and use as needed. Sometimes a layer of fat will separate so just spoon that off before using. The stock will be good for 2-3 weeks in the fridge or a couple of months in the freezer.
Enjoy!
I always wondered how to do this... but I didn't really want to mess with chicken innards. This seems easy enough, thanks for the instructions!
ReplyDelete