Monday, July 12, 2010

The Big Reveal: B & A {Master Bedroom}

If you know me well, you know I LOVE to decorate. I love everything about it and honestly, I can get a little obsessed. Sometimes it consumes my thoughts and I daydream about decorating. Weird, I know. I really would live, eat, and breath decorating if I could. HGTV remains on my t.v. {when Adam isn't watching sports} and I follow several decorating blogs.

With this weekend being one of the first that we have had home since the wedding, what did I do??? I decorated! Funny thing is, I'm a huge believer in "the big reveal"! So for the past few months, all of our new bedroom decorations sat on the floor of the guest bedroom. I knew I wanted to paint the room and so I really wanted to get that done before moving in the new linens, lamps, and decor. I am pretty happy with the results. Check it out:

May I remind you about my previous post with the "Before" pictures... This is my beautiful dresser that I re-finished. I loved it then, but it blended into the walls.
I originally wanted to just paint the tray ceiling, but last minute wanted to paint the whole room.
Before. {blah}. Don't get me wrong, the room is beautiful, but it just needed some *sparkle*. Let's be honest, I love you Adam, but it looked total bachelor pad. {Hey Butter!}
Bathroom before.
DRUM ROLL PLEASE......{BDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!}

Here is the process... I have several war wounds from this project. I fell off the ladder and landed on my elbow on the corner of the dresser. Before I fell off the ladder, I tried using a kitchen bar stool, which I fell off of and bruised my butt...and I have several bruises on my hands from rolling the paint roller. I also want to add, {sorry Home Depot} but your Behr paint was awful. The coverage was weak and it took a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to get that paint on the walls.

Here is the tray ceiling. The color is called Chilled Cucumber...and I LOVE IT!
The room was a disaster. Adam was at work, so I was glad he didn't see the mess I made. Don't worry, he helped me move the furniture.
OH- I also have BIG PLANS for the balcony that leads off the Master. I just bought this new round rug...it's super cool...and was only $19.99 at World Market! I love that place! Ideas for the future: Outdoor curtains, furniture, maybe a swing, colorful pillows, and cute outdoor accessories. It has to be dog-friendly...the dogs love sitting {barking at passing dogs} out here.
Because loading photos on this crazy blog is super annoying... I guess I have to reveal the bathroom first. I never in my life thought that I would keep this painting from my figure drawing class. It is an abstract of a female nude, but you cannot really tell. I thought it would be great for the bathroom and the colors and size really work great in the space. I painted the back wall the accent bedroom color, but left the others the standard khaki. I still need to put pictures in the frames, but I'm thinking black and whites.
I found this cute coral vanity mirror at HomeGoods for $20. The French Apothecary jars and the monogrammed hand towel are both from PotteryBarn.
Next to the bedroom door, I hung the frame with 1 Corinthians 11 verse. It is special to us because those were the verses my sister read at our wedding. I also framed this precious card that I bought at a really neat store in Chapel Hill, NC that has a lemon and says "Make Lemonade". I cut the graphic from the card and sewed it onto green printed paper before framing.
Another special piece in the room sits on the bedside table...it's our Turkey Bird! We bought the ceramic bird on our recent trip to Turkey. It is designed and hand painted by a well-known artist in Turkey. It's an original piece and signed by the artist. I love birds, I love Turkey and I LOVE my Turkey Bird!
Adam was wise and purchased some really nice furniture at Restoration Hardware when he first moved in. It looks great and will last forever. This is his dresser. The ceramic football player is a piece his Grandmother gave him. The small floral ceramic piece to the bottom right is from my Grandma Brown. The vase is another french apothecary jar from PB.
Here is my beautiful dresser! Doesn't she looks so much better against that cucumber wall?! She is much happier that she stands out!
Obviously I think that small sentimental pieces are important for a room. This pillow is no exception. Val bought this for us in Carmel, CA last year. A little story about the saying... Adam grew up LOVING Winnie the Pooh. This saying is from Pooh and is soooo sweet..."If you live to be hundred, I want to live a hundred minus one day, so I would never have to live a day without you."...I feel that it is such a true statement...love you Adam!
Wow, okay...so I really didn't realize all of the sentimental things in the room until this posting... On my bedside table {that will be re-painted soon} I have a Bible that was given to be by one of Adam's fraternity brothers. I literally cried when I opened the wedding gift because it had my new name engraved on it...what a special gift! I also placed my wedding hairpiece that has my Grandma Brown's cameo and my Grandma Water's hankie {also used around my bouquet at the wedding} in the little glass box.
This chair was from my condo. I bought it from Queen of Hearts a couple of years ago. It had a mustard yellow velvet cushion. I recovered it and placed it under the window. The pillow is from Macy's that I found for $14. I LOVE my blanket too... you can't tell but it has ruffles on the edges...it's Martha Stewart...oh Martha!
Here is the whole bed. If you are engaged and registered at PotteryBarn... be prepared to change your bedding on your registry a hundred times. I changed mine 5 times...only because they discontinue their bedding after only a few months of having it in stock. I think they saved the best for me. This is my favorite bedding I've ever seen.
The curtains are from Macy's and were on sale for only $14 per panel. I took a gamble with the color. It is called Thyme and online the colors were pretty funky. They are a shade darker than the wall color and just what I wanted.
Good night!

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! I seriously think you need to go on HGTV's the next desgin start because you have the best taste ever! Oh and you need to come decorate my house! Everything looks fabulous! I can't wait to come visit again soon! LOVE YOU BFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash!!! THANKS!!! That's one of my fave shows too! I'd love that. Oh... I am totally thinking about copying you on the shelf above our bed with the wedding canvas and vase, etc. But I didn't know if it'd be too much since the bed comes up so high... what do you think?

    ReplyDelete