Thursday, September 20, 2012

Monograms and Giving Back

Good Morning and Happy Thursday!

I know I've been a little M.I.A., partly due to the launch of Milly Mandarin. I'm so proud to say that I've been able to raise close to $400 for the Alzheimer's Association so far with my online auctions. I also just went to Market and bought a ton of cute Fall pieces that will be for sale starting on Sunday, 9/23. 

I'm not the only one in the family doing great things to raise money for Alzheimer's research and awareness. Adam's cousin, Michelle is also fundraising through Initial Outfitters.

Most of you may know about my family's experiences with the disease, but my husband's family is also touched by it. Adam's Grandmother is currently suffering and it breaks my heart each and every time I see her. Like my grandma and papa, she is declining each day with her memory and to be quite honest,
IT'S JUST  NOT FAIR! It's not fair that not only is she suffering, but the rest of the family is too.

When you visit and they don't remember who you are. When you bring up a memory like a past Christmas or birthday and you can see the confusion on their face. When you see how frustrated they get when they  are searching for the right word to say and they can't remember it. All of those experiences are devastating. 

I think what hurts the most (totally singing Rascal Flats in my head now), is that there is no cure! Nothing. The researchers continue to find possible medications to prevent but nothing has been found to actually cure the disease. The scariest thing is 1 in 8 older American's have the disease (5.4 million).

Funding for research and programming is very important. The association has many programs to assist with educating caregivers and loved ones of those who have the disease. If you know anyone with the disease,go online and see how you can get help! www.alz.org

Now, stepping down from my soapbox....

Michelle sells the cutest accessories from Initial Outfitters, which is an "at home party" company similar to Stella&Dot, Thirty-One, {dare I say} Tupperware. The best part about it is you can also host online parties and still buy things without attending a party. Most of the items are monogrammed or personalized and they make perfect gifts!

Please look at some of the amazing things available:

 Michelle made this adorable frame with her and her husband's initials. She bought a barnwood frame from  Hobby Lobby, covered it with burlap, then added her woodcut monogram that she bought from IO. The initials come in unfinished wood so you can paint them any color you want. There are various font choices and single letters too.

The monogram necklace is so HOT right now! I'm not sure if you've seen them on anyone, but IO's selection is great. You can choose the font, acrylic color, and chain too. The options are endless.
 
 These 2 photos are more examples of the monogram woodcuts. Many people use them on wreaths for the front door. I love the "house divided" Auburn/Alabama one above {it's football season, y'all!}. Too cute.

  Have a boring black mailbox? Make it super-cute with a vinyl decal. Also available through IO. Think of putting one on your iPad cover, cell phone, notebook, lunchbox, I can go on and on...

Layering necklaces is a new look for Fall and I can't get enough of it. Like the classic look of silver monogrammed jewelry? They have options for layering long and short chains, big and small pendants, and tons of charms. 

Michelle will be giving proceeds of her online party to Alzheimer's Association. Even if you currently aren't affected by the disease, consider giving back to those who are. Buy your Christmas gifts or splurge and get something for yourself!


To shop, visit the link below. Click on "shop now", then the Alzheimer's online party.

www.initialoutfitters.net/michelleneef/



No comments:

Post a Comment