This Memorial Day weekend was spent 'taking it easy in the Big Easy'...New Orleans, that is!
We had some great friends invite us to their beautiful wedding and lucky us, the bride and groom decided to get married in New Orleans. It was the perfect weekend getaway full of site seeing, eating and catching up with friends.
Our first stop? Just one that I've been looking forward to for weeks: Cafe Du Monde for beignets!
And they were worth every powdered-sugary bite!
{Can you see what the humidity level was all weekend? Just take a look at my hair. Photo taken before the powdered sugar attacked me.}
We had to walk around Jackson Square...it was a must, even in the 100+ degree weather.
The street vendors were out in full swing and most were artists.
Some really talented and some just out to make a buck.
Some really talented and some just out to make a buck.
I couldn't help but love these kitchy-folky wooden collages. The sunflower was a fave.
This particular artist was truly eye-catching. The colors and brush strokes were so vibrant.
The oyster may be reproduced one day... I love it.
Hanging with our friends Taylor and Nicole.
I love the bright vegetation in this city...but it's so hot! How do they grow so good?
Going to NOLA soon? You must eat here: Boucherie and here: La Petit Grocery. Both restaurants were suggestions of a friend and they are local hotspots in town!
Day two was spent touring the uptown and garden district areas. If you have never been to New Orleans and you think it's all about Bourbon Street bars... you are wrong! This city is not only full of life and good restaurants, it's home to some of the most beautiful houses I've seen.
The architecture and style is like no other.
Exhibit A: This is the famous "cornstalk fence". You can read about it here.
Exhibit B: Sandra Bullock's residence. Check out the scoop here.
{I was literally hanging out the window of a car to take this picture via iPhone... such a tourist.}
In addition to the local artist on the streets, this city is home to hundreds of antique stores and art galleries. And these aren't your thrifty, hole-in-the-wall junk hunting stores. They have auctions selling high-priced pieces up to the millions. One of my last trips to New Orleans, I saw an original Van Gogh that was behind a "secret wall" in an antique store...true story.
I didn't want to be rude and take photos in this gallery, but the paintings were beautiful! When you first walk into the store the smell of oil paints hits you like a ton of bricks!
More local street art.
The Mississippi! It was super windy.
This sculptor had to be a woman...mad at a man!
To honor where Adam and I first met, we had to go to Pat O's!
Yep, this is where it all began back in 2005.
Yep, this is where it all began back in 2005.
At one of those tables there...
This place was killer too... best breakfast ever! Fleur de lis Cafe!
This little candy store was right down the block from our hotel. The candy apples looked soooo good but they were huge. So we opted for pralines, peanut clusters and chocolate-covered nutter butters.
Decorated for Father's Day and Memorial Day...how cute are these?
And if the candy store wasn't dangerous enough, there was a TWO-STORY Anthropology connected to the hotel. AHHH! Yes... two stories of Heaven.
I love how Anthro features pieces from local artists.
I wanted to take home this suitcase, but it wouldn't fit in my suitcase {and it was $1,200}.
And this beauty wouldn't fit in my suitcase either or I would have snatched it right up... Couldn't you see me riding it with Harlee sitting in that little basket?!
The entire weekend was so fun, including the wedding. The wedding took place at the New Orleans Audubon Zoo. The ceremony was at the Seal Exhibit...I mean, look at this place. How beautiful is it with the old Southern oaks and Spanish moss... it was truly a southern soiree complete with woven straw fans to air off the sweat "glisten" and "lovely Louisiana lemonade".
And you can't have a New Orleans wedding without the traditional umbrella parade.
{is that the name for it?!}
Isn't the bride stunning?!
And you can't have a New Orleans wedding without the traditional umbrella parade.
{is that the name for it?!}
We enjoyed celebrating with friends, eating amazing local cuisine, and touring the many sites of New Orleans. Can't wait for our next trip!







No comments:
Post a Comment